The Starbright Children’s Development Centre Autism Program provides behaviour intervention for children under 9 years of age who have been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Our program teaches to the core needs of children with autism based on the most current research, and focuses on social interaction skills, the functional use of language and increasing the child’s ability to function positively in their family and in the community.
Our Treatment Toolbox
- Use of principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Discrete Trial Training
- Developmental Strategies
- Natural Environment Teaching
- Social Cognition
Our Multidisciplinary Team includes:
- Program Consultants
- RASP-accredited Behaviour Consultant
- Senior Behaviour Interventionists
- Behaviour Interventionists
- Consultation services of a Speech Language Pathologist and an Occupational Therapist as well as the support of a Clinical Counsellor (The personnel time for these additional benefits is funded through a grant from BC Gaming)
Benefits of Our Program
1. Your child as the focus We recognize that each child is unique so our programming is based on the individual needs of each child and family. We encourage parent participation in the development of their child.
2. One stop support! Sessions are held at Starbright Children’s Development Centre in order to allow access to specialized therapy equipment and opportunities for peer interaction. Your child can receive a range of services from various professional all at Starbright. In locating the sessions at the Centre, the Program Consultants and the Behaviour Consultant are able to continuously monitor your child’s progress.
3. Qualified staff Our Behaviour Consultant is a qualified RASP provider. The Behaviour Interventionists (BI) and Senior Behaviour Interventionists are hired and trained by Starbright. Our families frequently comment on the dedication and high quality of our BIs!
4. Peer interaction Sessions at the Centre give many opportunities for peer interactions as there are many opportunities for your child to participate in group activities. In addition, Starbright now has a new therapeutic playground that provides an even wider range of programming support! Starbright Children’s Development Centre service options can also be tailored to meet your child’s needs, such as home sessions or include outings in the community.
Program Costs Include:
- Direct behaviour intervention
- Individual program plans
- Supervision of your child’s program
- Charting, scoring assessment and preparing reports
- Reviews of files and reports
- Preparation for therapy
- Contact with family (meetings, phone calls, consultation)
- Collaborating with Speech, Occupational and Physical Therapists and other providers to ensure all aspects are worked into your child’s plan
- Administration – Monthly invoicing and updating of data files.
- Ongoing training for parents and BI’s
Hours of Operation
The Starbright Children’s Development Centre program runs Monday – Friday, with a total of six weeks of closure spread out over the course of the year (for example, stat holidays, Christmas closure, spring break closure).
Morning Sessions 8:45 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Afternoon Sessions 12:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
After School Sessions 3:15 p.m. – 5:00 p.m